Mobile Gaming: “Plants vs. Zombies 2: It’s About Time”
The original Plants vs. Zombies was one of the classic must-have games for your mobile device. It’s a stationary tower defense game in which you must defend your home from waves of zombies by using various different Plants. Sun is your fuel that drops from the sky or is produced by – you guessed it – sunflowers! You have your basic pea shooters and defensive potatoes, with various others mixed in.
Whereas the original kept it straightforward with a setting both behind and atop your house, Plants vs. Zombies 2 is “about time” in the grand sense. With the aid of your neighbor, Crazy Dave, you travel back in time via sentient time machine to deal with mummies, pirates, and cowboys (cowzombs?). Every “world” unfolds in a map similar to NES Super Mario Bros. with each level being a new stop on the road. This grand adventure unfolds so that Crazy Dave can go back in time and re-eat a delicious taco (a quest that I’m sure Troy might appreciate given his affinity for burritos and tacos). One of the great things about this sequel is that it’s free to download. The original was only a few bucks and offered you the option to pitch in real money to purchase upgrades, but considering how lengthy and extensive Plants vs. Zombies 2, the lack of a price tag comes as a pleasant surprise. There are quite literally incentives around every corner to throw money at the game, whether to get the best plants as soon as you can or to buy keys that unlock secret routes and other bonuses. But the beauty and the challenge lie in the resistance to temptation and the challenge in making it work with the (more) limited resources. While it’s more challenging taking the cheaper route it is entirely doable. Perhaps the best part of Plants vs. Zombies 2 are the upgraded and brand new additions to the roster. Here are just a few:
All in all, I am extremely picky when it comes to mobile games, but take it from me that Plants vs. Zombies is one of those franchises to pay attention to. I mean heck, I love these more than Angry Birds! When it comes to Plants vs. Zombies 2? GET IT, get it, get it!! Just don’t ask me if I like it more than Army of Darkness: Defense as a tower defense game.
App Type: Game
Game Type: Tower Defense
Best Part: With enemies just as varied as the plants at your disposal, Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a colorful addition to the franchise that takes PG advantage of zombie fandom to bring you a great gaming experience.
- Plants vs. Zombies 2 Officially Launches, for Free (thegamerwithkids.com)
- Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare trailer (x360magazine.com)
- Plants vs Zombies 2 hits 25 million download milestone, still no Android version (androidcommunity.com)
- Review: Plants vs. Zombies 2: It’s About Time (destructoid.com)
- Review: Plants vs Zombies 2: It’s About Time (pockettactics.com)
- Plants vs Zombies 2 downloaded more than 16m times in launch week (trustedreviews.com)
- Downloaded 16 Million Times So Far, More Content is Coming to ‘Plants vs. Zombies 2’ (toucharcade.com)
- Plants Vs. Zombies 2 Has Already Seen 16M Downloads & More Content Is On The Way (cultofmac.com)